Wednesday, July 1, 2015

S.H. Figuarts Garo Part 1

Shiny, but not that shiny

From a fierce-looking Zoids plamo kit to a fierce-looking action figure this time. ^^


As with all of my reviews nowadays, this is also something in my collection that seems to have been neglected after its purchase. ^^; This S.H. Figuarts Garo for example, has been sitting somewhere in my room for more than three years now, after I got it in July 2011.

Doing long-overdue reviews has very much become the norm on my blog, so much so it's now meaningless to be pointed out I think. ^^;

Still, overdue reviews are never a problem for me, since the awesomeness of those collectibles remained unchanged between the moment I purchased them, and when I finally decide to unpack them out for review. ^^

S.H. Figuarts Garo
Production company: Tamashii Nations (Bandai)
Release date: April 2011
Price: 4,500 Yen (exclusive of tax).
Merchandise link

I mentioned quite a bit about my opinion on the character, armor design, and even the story of "Garo" in Part 1 of my review on the Garo Kiwami Damashii version ( which was done more than two years ago ^^), so I don't think I want to repeat the ideas here again. The only significant point here, especially since I just mentioned Garo Kiwami Damashii version, is that this S.H. Figuarts version is a more show-accurate realization of the Golden Knight. ^^ In terms of the action figure's features, especially detailing, the Garo Kiwami Damashii version portrays a more exaggerated and artistic design for Garo, while this S.H. Figuarts went for an image that is more faithful to its on-screen look.

The same contrast is true between the S.I.C. series and the S.H. Figuarts line-up for Kamen Riders.


Since a more detailed comparison between the two Garo action figures that I have is already planned for this review series, I will save the rest of my comment to a later posting when the subject becomes more relevant. ^^ But I'll tell you one feature about this S.H. Figuarts version that I immediately like more over the Garo Kiwami Damashii version: its bigger size. ^^


Front view of the box.


Product label.





The figure itself and most of its option parts can be seen clearly through the front window








Closeups on the content.



Design style that is very characteristic of the S.H. Figuarts series for the top and bottom, left and right sides of the box. ^^


Garo's shining helmet design occupies the entire left hand section of the package's front section.
This is actually a design style consistent with that of the Garo Kiwami Damashii version. ^^





Simple introduction of the figure on the back of the box.


The box back image shows a shinier, almost plated-like shade of gold for the figure as compared to the duller look on the actual figure itself.
I would much prefer a super bling-bling shade of gold to be used on the figure, since that would be the most accurate representation of Garo as seen in the TV series. ^^


Comparison of Garo's box to that of Figma Mika Jougasaki, and S.H. Figuarts Tyranno Ranger.




Smaller than the box of a Figma, which is not surprising anyway, it's perhaps noteworthy that Garo has a thicker box than fellow S.H. Figuarts release, S.H. Figuarts Tyranno Ranger. ^^ It can be seen as an indication to Garo's volume as compared to other typical S.H. Figuarts figures. ^^


Box open.


Package content.


The package content is stored on two trays, with the cape being the only item on the second tray.


Front view of the top tray.


Top tray content without the top cover.











Closer look at the content.


Rear view of the top tray.






Closer look at the details.



Front view of the bottom tray.



Rear view of the bottom tray.



Straight out of box display of S.H. Figuarts Garo. ^^


The instruction sheet pack and a foil paper background, both which are generic items to be expected in a S.H. Figuarts package. ^^



Configuration of the option hand units and cape, and weapon storage are shown on the instruction sheet.

A look at Garo's accessories and option parts in the next posting. ^^

No comments: