Monday, January 13, 2014

MG Sinanju Ver. Ka Part 8

Project Reboot

Like 1/72 Transformable VF-25S Super Messiah Valkyrie Ozma Lee's Unit, and the more recent Dororo Robo Mk-II from Keropla God Keron, the first Gunpla project on this blog this year is going to be an unfinished work from the past, but unlike the two model kits mentioned above, the work on this Gunpla was initiated way back in September 2011. ^^; A kit that was delayed for so long some might think that I've completed it in the past - Master Grade Sinanju. ^^;

Much like the work on MG Musha Gundam Mk-II, the first batch of work on Sinanju was the spray-painting of its golden parts. When that was done, the entire kit was sidelined for a couple of months before I returned to it briefly in January 2012 to paint its pilot figures. When the two figures were painted, the progress just stopped there, until now. ^^; The intention of not wanting to rush through the work as it's one of my favorite kits was the main cause behind the crazy delay, but looking back at the unfinished work now, even I feel that it's quite ridiculous. ^^;

So, to not let the kit gather dust any longer, one of the "aims" I set for myself in hobby-related matters for this year would be the completion of MG Sinanju Ver. Ka, not only the paint work and detailing, but the final assembly as well. ^^ The former is obviously needed before the latter. ^^ While quite a number of parts were painted and detailed in the past, there are still about 90 percent more to go. ^^; Many of the inner frame parts have very little remarkable details, which is one of the major issues I have about this kit. Following the plans in my mind all this while to enhance the appearance of the inner frame, I can foresee that the work on this MG kit is going to be quite a long journey. ^^; Then again, for the sake of realizing that incredible image I always have about the Red Comet, everything will go according to plan. ^^

Like a perfect continuation from Part 7, detailing of the two pilot seat parts will be the first focus of this batch of work. ^^

The molded details on the two parts are done using normal panel liner, and Tamiya's Panel Line Accent Color (Black).

A "trick" I often use to enhance the appearance of the dashboard part: tiny foil sticker pieces in metallic green, silver, and even red from various leftover sheets collected from previous kits are used to  create  fake the control panel details. ^^

A few tiny spots on the exterior of the dashboard part are painted gold using normal marker.

Test fitting the detailed parts to see how the completed pilot seat would turn out when assembled. ^^

Comparison with the standing figure of Full Frontal painted in Part 7.

The two parts are secured in a separate compartment in a small medicine box, right next to the two figures to avoid any damage to the details. ^^

(Optional) paint work for the interior of all the thruster nozzles will be next.
As you can see, the parts have been grouped into small clusters as a way to organize them according to their components on the model kit.

Using double-sided tapes on paper clips to hold the parts for the paint work.

All the thruster nozzles are painted with Gaia Metallic Color No. 122 Star Bright Gold.

Excessive gold paint outside the parts is scratched away using a knife.

One by one, each of the 22 thruster nozzles is turned upside down so that the line details on the outside can be panel lined.

Repetitive work of panel lining the parts is done. ^^

Even more painting and detailing of Sinanju's inner frame parts coming up next. ^^

No comments: