Friday, July 6, 2012

Childhood Nostalgia 5: the Goodie Box Part 2

15-year-old new things

Finishing up on a previous posting I did back in early June. ^^

Digging deeper into the good old goodie box to see what other "treasures" I managed to preserve over the years. ^^


Super Sentai trading cards. ^^ Back in the Internet-less era, when kids like me didn't get to see "Power Rangers" or any other robot shows other than when they on TV, these trading cards really helped to crystallize some of the most memorable scenes from the show. ^^

These precious cards were featured in Part 4 of this review series many many moon ago, so I won't repeat the introduction about them anymore. ^^




The robot in the middle is Great Icarus from "Chojin Sentai Jetman" (鳥人戦隊ジェットマン). It was one of the few Super Sentai shows that was dubbed into Malay and aired here in my country. The other two series I watched were "Hikari Sentai Maskman" (光戦隊マスクマン) and "Choushinsei Flashman" (超新星フラッシュマン). ^^

Another really classic souvenir from my childhood days: ^^


A very thick folded booklet-like item ...


... which is actually a massive poster of "Dash! Yonkuro" (ダッシュ!四駆郎). ^^
That box of HG 1/144 O Gundam is just there to show you the size of the poster. ^^

"Dash! Yonkuro" was a huge craze back in my days. ^^ The story of the cartoon series was very fun and enjoyable - you would never expect how hotblooded and crazy mini 4WD races can be depicted until you watch this show. ^^


Opening and some clips from "Dash! Yonkuro".
Video clip is from Youtube. Follow this link to the website if you can't see anything.

The merchandising success for Tamiya in Malaysia from the series seemed to be very apparent. I can't really comment on that since I didn't bother about it back then, but I do remember the company's commercials were all over the place for the racing cars that appeared in the TV series.

On the other hand, the commercials also reminded me how expensive those toys can be. The various racing car kits were expensive enough, their accessories and "power-up" parts were even more so. ^^;





The large poster above was given to me by a friend in primary school, which was like two decades ago. ^^; All the rectangular spaces are placeholders for some special stickers you have to get from related toys released by Tamiya I suppose. Prizes like special bag, watches and others can be claimed by completing the whole poster and sending it back to the company. I couldn't afford any of the toys so no special sticker for me, not even one. ^^; The poster is too precious for me to give away too. ^^

Come to think about it, the craze for "Dash! Yonkuro" seemed all the same with other merchandise hypes created by later cartoon series. ^^ There were periods when kids were all over tops, yo-yo, fighting cards, Digital Monsters devices and so on. The floods of related toys in the market were just like the abundance of racing car kits in local market (most which are pirated ^^;) during the hype over "Dash! Yonkuro". Of course, unless new concepts and ideas can be brought into a certain existing product to extend it, the product's decline in its life-cycle is predictably unavoidable. I had fond memories of "Dash! Yonkuro", but I didn't expect the cartoon series and merchandising line to last forever anyway.

Some other random items I collected, which are a lot newer as compared to the ones mentioned above and from the previous part in this review series.


A leaflet I took from a local bank that promoted special saving account plans for kids with Doraemon gifts as the incentives.



Map of the Caribbean from a National Geographic issue I bought when I was in secondary school.



Random game cards. ^^
That picture of Master Grade Sazabi was cut out from a magazine (which I have no idea which one and where it is now ^^;) and pasted onto a paper card to form a collection card I could carry around in my school bag. ^^


A set of eight postcards featuring Kyoko Fukada (深田恭子), which was somewhat shown back in the review of Action Base 3 Black. ^^
I got the postcards through mail order service for fun but totally useless stuff, which was a pretty common practice back in secondary school days. ^^


Pack of football star trading cards from KFC.
This is one of the earliest free stuff I got from that fast food restaurant when I was old and courageous enough to visit it myself. ^^


Digimon postcards featuring pictures which are directly copied and pasted from the illustration book where the cards come from. ^^

And that's all from the goodie box. ^^ The box not only contains the things from the old days that I managed to keep all these years, it's full of memory for me. ^^ Back in the old days when these items seemed to be just normal junks, they were just taken for granted. Many of my other things which were taken for granted didn't make it till today like those lucky ones in the goodie box. I can't really remember why I kept them in the first place, but I'm glad I did as they sure are precious now. ^^

For some of them, I'm quite sure I would have threw them away during spring cleanings long time ago if they weren't contained in the steel box. In a way, I suppose I could call it my special mini museum. ^^

Or junkyard XD

Other parts of this review series.
Childhood Nostalgia 1 - Vico transformer toys
Childhood Nostalgia 2 - White Tiger Megazord
Childhood Nostalgia 3 - Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs
Childhood Nostalgia 4 - Power Rangers Trading Card
Childhood Nostalgia 5 - the Goodie Box Part 1

No comments: